Basically I fell in every possible hole while wandering around in the dark but I could get out of them :-)
- after downloading I configured the binary installation for x86-64. configure starts ghc-pwd, which is built with the wrong glibc-versions. Bummer.
- found out that I have to get the source install. Downloaded and configured, it died in the middle because base-4.2 was not available. Bummer.
- so I had to install ghc-6.12.3 first. Fortunately this went smoothly (binary install). With this new friend I reconfigured v7.0.4 and started building. When linking the stage1 compiler I got an error from binutils that some relocation went awry. Bummer.
- the internets are full of hints that the system compiler (gcc-4.1) uses the bad linker. To my luck I found a new gcc-4.4 in an amicable colleague's home directory, so I reconfigured thus:
./configure --prefix=/home/gabor --with-gcc=/home/msichel/local_x86/bin/gcc
- but configure told me that the shiny new gcc cannot build executables. Bummer.
- it turned out (I had to write a hello-world to figure that out) that some gcc-internal shared libraries were not found. Luckily they came into scope with
- at this point I could smell victory, but it was still out of reach. A blog post suggested to cp mk/build.mk.sample mk/build.mk and edit it in two ways:
- uncomment BuildFlavour = quick
- and change to GhcLibWays = v p dyn, i.e. append "p dyn"
- I did both, reconfigured and typed make install.